One of the best parts of the holidays is the aroma of food and spices filling your home. The scent of cinnamon evokes thoughts of cookies and cider. Sage fills the house with smells of a delicious, roasted turkey.
There are a handful of spices that have quickly become known for being holiday spices, including cinnamon, allspice, cloves, nutmeg, and vanilla. Here are some of the most common holiday spices.
Common Holiday Spices
- Cinnamon – obtained from the inner bark of trees, cinnamon is great for both savory and sweet foods. It is one of the oldest spices and is very easy to incorporate into recipes. Known best for going well with apples, it is a great spice to put into pies.
- Allspice – also known as newspice, allspice is made from dried unripe fruits. It got its name because people thought that it tastes like a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Allspice is most known for going perfectly with cookies, pies, and cakes.
- Nutmeg – the seed of a tree, is egg shaped and about an inch long. It takes about 7 – 9 years to harvest nutmeg from trees after planting and the trees will produce seeds for about 20 years. Many people eat nutmeg with their breakfast in oatmeal, French toast, eggs; or with deserts like pudding, custard, or ice cream.
- Cloves – an aromatic flower bud that comes from trees native to Indonesia. When dried and crushed it is commonly used as a spice. Cloves have medicinal values and have been known to be a bit of a painkiller for dental emergencies. Cloves go great in gingerbread, pie, and many traditional holiday favorites.
- Vanilla – probably the tastiest and most popular on the list, vanilla is derived from orchids. The vanilla aroma has been known for its calming qualities, and it is extremely tasty. You can find vanilla by the whole pod, in powder form, vanilla extract, or vanilla sugar. It has also known to help with a variety of stomach ailments, so don’t hesitate to put it in or on everything you eat this holiday season.
Prepare Your Kitchen for the Holidays
To prepare for holiday cooking and entertaining, you'll want to make sure that you have all of the spices you need and that they are organized so that you can quickly find them. Vertical Spice racks are the perfect way to get your kitchen in order before your guests arrive. Our sliding drawers make it is easy to keep your spices in order and the clear fronts ensure that you’ll never lose track of your favorite spices. Our spice racks are easy to install and come in a variety of sizes to fit any cabinet.